Updated on December 10, 2021
Finally caught last week’s new episode of “The Looney Tunes Show,” back from a brief hiatus. Unfortunately, it’s still another typical entry in the series.
The plot of this week’s episode: Daffy, finding his morning paper not delivered, accuses the neighbors of stealing it. Meanwhile, Bugs plans a dinner party where Daffy can apologize to the neighbors for his obnoxious behavior.
As usual, the plot is standard sitcom fare, though with a few amusing moments:
- Bugs making carrot *pie*, not cake.
- Daffy’s remark about Bugs “putting carrots in everything” reminded me of a similar remark Plucky made about Buster’s diet on “Tiny Toon Adventures.”
- The attempt by Daffy to set the “mood” at the dinner party scene.
- An explanation for why Daffy gets the newspaper (and the origin of his garish parade-float car in this series).
- Witch “Lezah” (*sigh*) remarking about just reading the news online.
Otherwise, it’s another fairly bland outing, with a minimal amount of slapstick. I wonder if fans of “Seinfeld” would be nuts about this series (I never liked “Seinfeld,” but keep seeing TLTS compared to it online…).
As usual, the backup segments are the funniest parts of the episode. The “Merry Melodie” short is a song about the Tasmanian Devil (“Tasmanian Meltdown“), who’s in typical wild form. Daffy’s expressions in the opening scenes are hilarious, along with his use of a taser (and Sylvester and Tweety’s brief cameo).
The Road Runner short this week: “Gone in 60 Parsecs.” The Coyote finds Area 51 (the hard way) and swipes from it a flying saucer, which he uses to pursue the Road Runner. This might rank up with “The Solid Tin Coyote” and “Soup or Sonic” as only the *third* time Wile E. actually caught the Road Runner(!), albeit very, very briefly (and backfiring on him in the end).