Google’s announced a time-killing new feature: if you type into a search box “bacon number” followed by an actor’s name, Google will display how many degrees away from Kevin Bacon they are (plus the path to get there).
Given my interests in cartoons, I thought it’d be fun to see what animation related figures (fictional or real-world) would show up. (Don’t worry live-action fans, I tried various “Star Trek” actors’ names, too…) Some of the results:
- Bugs Bunny: 2 (via actor Brendan Fraser)
- Walt Disney: 3 (Walt Disney > Clark Gable > Eli Wallach > Kevin Bacon)
- Tress MacNeille: 2 (via actor John Lithgow)
- Mel Blanc: 2 (via voice actor Jim Cummings)
- Mickey Mouse: 0 (see comment below)
- Dan Castellaneta: 2 (via actress Rose Byrne)
- Frank Welker: 2 (again via John Lithgow)
- Cree Summer: 2 (yep, John Lithgow)
- James Avery: 0 (see comment below)
- Maddie Blaustein: 3 (Maddie Blaustein > Andrew Rannells > Sarah Jessica Parker > Kevin Bacon)
- Kevin Michael Richardson: 2 (via actor Benjamin Bratt)
Still, Google’s results may not be completely accurate, and might miss some connections. Google’s results aren’t drawn from IMDB (which would greatly improve results’ accuracy), but Google’s own analytics figures. Thus, while Bugs Bunny, amusingly, is included (via the movie “Looney Tunes: Back In Action” which also had Brendan Fraser), they missed Mickey Mouse (who was also in “Who Framed Roger Rabbit” “alongside” Jim Cummings/Mel Blanc). Additionally, James Avery’s “bacon number” should be three: James Avery > Will Smith (“Fresh Prince of Bel-Air”) > Josh Brolin (“Men in Black 3”) > Kevin Bacon (“Hollow Man”).
To give it a go yourself, just go to Google’s search page…