Updated on December 10, 2021
This year’s GLAAD media award nominees have been announced. The awards are given annually to mainstream media productions that depict gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender individuals or issues in a positive light.
For outstanding comic book, the nominees are:
- Batwoman (DC Comics)
- Life With Archie (Archie)
- Young Avengers (Marvel)
- Husbands (Dark Horse)
- Fearless Defenders (Marvel)
Going over each nominee…
- “Batwoman” got nominated this year, in spite of DC’s idiotic antics over the past year regarding not allowing the characters to get married…and, well, driving said creators off the book.
- “Life With Archie” is presumably being nominated on the heels of Kevin Keller’s win last year, plus the adult Kevin and husband Clay’s storyline in this title.
- “Young Avengers” and “Fearless Defenders” are two Marvel entries depicting LGBT characters.
- “Husbands” is published by Dark Horse, and features the adventures of a newly-married gay couple. Originally a sitcom, the comic takes a more fantastical approach to the characters.
While I’ve not read all of them, I’m sure they’re all deserving of the prize, though I’d vote for “Life With Archie.”
The winning nominee will be announced this spring.