A look at graphic novels coming out in October 2020 (and beyond), including a new "Lumberjanes" volume.
Tonight’s episode of “The Looney Tunes Show” features the series debut of Porky, as well as a plot about Bugs and Daffy being sent to prison over a trumped-up charge (caused by Daffy, of course). (Yes, SPOILERS BELOW.)
This one shows improvements over last week’s, with Bugs acting somewhat more like his old self (and less passive), while Daffy’s pretty much, well, Daffy (and Porky being his usual self).
- Porky finally shows up, and he’s written as, well, his usual “straight man”/hapless victim self. Here, he’s questioned by cops about not wearing pants, and grilled in court by Daffy. He also gets in an amusing bit telling Daffy and Bugs about “the recidivism rate” for former prisoners. Funny as he was, I think it’d have been even funnier to see Porky either trying to get Bugs and Daffy out and/or Porky wind up in jail himself (putting their “Big 3” characters in jail together, similar to the hilarious ending of “Porky Pig’s Feat“).
- Bugs being more of a smart-aleck and enjoying his time in jail (including the random insults tossed off), after r realizing he can get away with insulting everyone.
- More of the old cliche of cartoon characters being unable to recognize someone thinly disguised (here, Daffy and Bugs as blondes).
- The courtroom scene.
- Daffy’s reaction to being in jail.
- The Merrie Melodie song, “Blew My Stack” featuring Yosemite Sam, is shown.
- Hmm, we got cameos by the Crusher (the thuggish wrestler/boxer from old Bugs Bunny shorts), but wonder if Rocky and Muggsy will be seen in this series?
- No Road Runner short this week.
- The usual sitcom elements are less pronounced here, but still cast a tone over things, thus still little slapstick (that lightning would’ve blasted Daffy in any other incarnation).
Overall, the show seems to be picking up. On another note, the show’s still doing well in the ratings for Cartoon Network (per Toonzone), which bodes well for the future of the Looney Tunes.
Next week: Bugs and Daffy engage in a fund raiser. Hopefully this’ll introduce some more of the characters; I’m still waiting to see how Sylvester and Tweety are portrayed, or Yosemite Sam, or whatever Witch Hazel’s name is here (“Lezah?”).