ViacomCBS has announced it's renaming CBS All Access to "Paramount+" in early 2021.
The New York Times has released their graphic novel and manga best seller list for May 2020. Below are my thoughts about this month’s list.
The top five graphic novels are:
- “Guts,” by Raina Telgemeier
- “Best Friends,” by Shannon Hale and LeUyen Pham
- “Drama,” by Raina Telgemeier
- “New Kid,” by Jerry Craft
- “Baby-Sitters Little Sister: Karen’s Witch,” by Ann M. Martin and Katy Farina
“Check Please” made the list
The second volume of the webcomic “Check Please,” subtitled “Sticks and Scones,” made this month’s list, at #14. Along with “Drama,” that makes at least two entries I know of featuring gay characters. This pleases me, as someone who enjoyed “Check Please” (which recently ended its run).
Telgemeier is the dominant author on the list (again)
The best sellers list this month is, as usual, dominated by Raina Telgemeier and her various graphic novels. This was also the case the last time I looked at the Times’ best sellers (back in December).
Women creators dominate the list
As far as I can tell, graphic novels featuring women writers and/or artists made up 10 of the 15 entries on the list. A big contrast to the usual direct market best sellers. Speaking of the direct market…
…as do young adult comics
Most of the entries on this month’s list are children or young adult graphic novels. Given how well such are selling, that’s not surprising.
Not a single Big Two book
None of the graphic novels this month were published by DC or Marvel. Not even perennial Reagan-era standbys like “Watchmen” or “The Dark Knight Returns” made the cut this month; everything on this month’s list was actually created in this century. Again, the “Big Two” are mostly that as far as the direct market’s concerned.
- "New Kid," "Guts" top September 2020 NY Times graphic novel best seller list
- "The Adventure Zone," "New Kid" top August 2020 NY Times graphic novel best seller list
- "New Kid" tops July 2020 NY Times graphic novel best seller list
- "Guts" (again) tops June 2020 New York Times graphic novel best seller list