Archie’s apparently announced some new future products at the New York Comic Con… Comics Worth Reading has the details, but to summarize:
- Kevin Keller’s getting his own miniseries. While I was expecting him to show up in the next few issues of “Veronica” (as previously announced) before fading into the background, I’m surprised to hear he’s getting his own miniseries. I wonder what the plot will be… another eating contest against Jughead? Maybe working with Chuck on a comic featuring a gay superhero who won’t be folded, spindled, and/or mutilated (a la Marvel’s Freedom Ring/DC’s Tasmanian Devil)? Though being Archie, two old boyfriends showing up (one rich and snobbish, the other middle-class but a nice boy next door) to fight over Kevin wouldn’t be too far-fetched, but might be fun anyway.
- A line of children’s books will be produced. A very crowded field to wade into, so it’ll be interesting to see what they come up with.
- A new comic in the style of the Sonic the Hedgehog books, but based on fellow video game character Mega Man. I imagine old-school video game fans will be excited about this, though as a teen, Super Mario Bros. reigned in our house.
- New comics for Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Josie and the Pussycats, and Jinx (formerly “Lil’ Jinx,” a minor backup strip character in Archie’s books for decades). At Chicago’s C2E2 last spring, I asked at the Archie panel if Sabrina was getting her own comic again anytime soon, and the panelists said they were working on it. I’m guessing that work’s about to pay off at some point in 2011.
- What sounds like a new series featuring the adult versions of Betty and Veronica, as seen in “Life With Archie.” The title “Betty or Veronica” makes it sound like it’s taking the same alternate-future track, or just to emphasize how the two’s friendship isn’t quite as close in the “Life With Archie” series.
Overall, sounds like Archie’s continuing the same assertive, modernizing track they’ve been on the past several years, which is a good thing, especially if they’re competing against the titans of DC and Marvel…