Updated on December 10, 2021
The nominees for this year’s Academy Awards were announced today. Here’s the nominees for Best Animated Feature:
- A Cat in Paris
- Chico and Rita
- Kung Fu Panda 2
- Puss in Boots
Looks like Disney and Pixar (despite “Winnie the Pooh”) got completely snubbed. Guess even Hollywood award voters aren’t tunnel-visioned enough to vote for “Cars 2.” At least Pixar has a (non-Cars-related) short up for the best animated short category; the nominees there consist of:
- A Morning Stroll
- Dimanche/Sunday (a National Film Board of Canada short)
- La Luna (Pixar’s entry)
- The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
- Wild Life (another NFB of Canada short)
A strong showing this year from our northern neighbor.
My guesses for animated feature:
- Will win: Rango or Puss in Boots.
- Should win: Not seen any of the nominees, so can’t say. Would be nice to see them show imagination and not pick either of the two sequels/prequels (Puss in Boots, Kung Fu Panda 2).
As for animated short, can’t really say, though the Oscar voters seem more willing to vote for “arthouse” fare in the short category than the feature one, so this might be a year without anything from Pixar winning.
Anthony Dean is the owner of Diverse Tech Geek and Diverse Media Notes.