Kicking off the new year, here’s a look at what’s coming out from DC Comics for January 2018. As usual, a full list of solicitations is available here.
- Harley and Ivy Meet Betty and Veronica #4 (of 6), on sale Jan. 3, $4
- Future Quest Showcase #6, on sale Jan. 17, $4
- The Jetsons #3, on sale Jan. 3, $4
- Looney Tunes #241, on sale Jan. 24, $3
- Scooby-Doo Team-Up #34, on sale Jan. 24, $3
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? #89, on sale Jan. 10, $3
Trade paperbacks/graphic novels
- DC Super Hero Girls: Date With Disaster, on sale Jan. 31, $10
- DC Meets Looney Tunes, on sale Feb. 14, $20
- Superman: The Many Worlds of Krypton, on sale Feb. 28, $20
DC, in an apparent jab at Marvel’s refusal to publish a Fantastic Four comic (over movie rights reasons?), is launching a new book, “The Terrifics.” It’s a team starring Plastic Man, Mr. Terrific, Metamorpho, and a (time-displaced?) Phantom Girl. Basically, four characters who roughly match the powers and abilities of Ben, Reed, Sue, and Johnny.
“Superwoman” is being canceled this month. Based on my Twitter feed, DC probably should’ve published a Lois Lane book instead?
This month’s “Scooby-Doo Team-Up” is with the Birds of Prey. Specifically, Black Canary, Batgirl, and the Huntress. The latter I assume is the Helena Bertinelli version, not the Earth-2 Helena Wayne version. (Then again, if this series managed to squeeze in a kid-friendly explanation of Hawkman’s and Hawkgirl’s convoluted post-Crisis continuity…)
Elsewhere in classic cartoons, a trade paperback of the Looney Tunes/DCU crossover is coming out. This includes the most popular issue of the series, Elmer Fudd meeting Batman.
There’s also a new DC Super Hero Girls graphic novel coming out, timed for a few weeks before Valentine’s Day. Appropriately, the story’s about Commissioner Gordon going on a date.
A bunch of trades for Superman’s 80th birthday
2018 is Superman’s 80th anniversary. Along with “Action Comics” hitting issue #1000 in March, there’ll be other stuff featuring the Man of Steel this year.
Looks like we’re getting some reprints of infrequently seen or mentioned Superman material. To wit:
- An Elseworlds trade of Superman stories nobody ever seems to think or talk about much (“Superman, Inc?” “A Nation Divided?”).
- “The Many Worlds of Krypton” trade is reprinting both the pre- and post-Crisis “World of Krypton” miniseries. It’s also reprinting “The Fabulous World of Krypton” backup stories that appeared in 70s Superman titles.
- Finally, there’s “Superman: President Luthor.” It’s a trade reprinting both an “unauthorized biography” about Lex’s career, plus part of his run for, and election victory as, President of the United States. I suppose this trade’s appropriately timed, given the current White House occupant.