Today’s been deemed by DC Entertainment as “Batman Day.” It’s a day dedicated to celebrating all things related to the Dark Knight. Satirical blog The Outhouse goes into the more cynical reasons behind the existence of Batman Day.
Oddly, in 2015 Batman Day came a day after “National Comic Book Day.” NCBD’s a day meant to celebrate the entire comic medium, which would include Batman. DC did hold a Superman Day in 2016, so at least they’re not limiting this to Batman.
Cynical aspects of Batman Day aside, I thought I’d participate anyway. While I’ve grumbled plenty about the Masked Manhunter’s overexposure or treatment, I do like the guy. (Or at least certain versions of him…see below.) Below are links to my previous noteworthy Batman Family-related blog posts.
Favorite Batman incarnations
A few of my favorite Batman-related versions or stories:
- The Adam West “Batman” TV series. I grew up watching reruns of this series, along with a similar-toned version of Batman on “Super Friends.”
- “Batman: The Animated Series.”
- “Batman: The Brave and the Bold.” Outrageous!
- Lego Batman. The video games are fun, as is the Batman in “The Lego Movie” and “The Lego Batman Movie.”
- Bruce’s appearances in YouTube’s “How It Should Have Ended” videos. Not an “official” version, but still hilarious. “Because I’m Batman!” indeed.
- The Silver/Bronze Age comics Batman.
- “Li’l Gotham.”
- “Scooby-Doo Team-Up” makes heavy use of Batman.
- While it didn’t use Batman, I did like the 2000s “Teen Titans” TV series, featuring Robin.
- A list of my recommended Batman comics.
In short, I’m more “Brave and the Bold”/”Batman:TAS,” less so recent films/comics (or Frank Miller).
Minorities in cartoons
Yes, there are minorities among the Batman Family cast. The ones I’ve covered so far include:
- Lucius Fox
- Renee Montoya
- Maxine Gibson
- Alysia Yeoh
- Barbara Gordon
- Cassandra Cain
- Ra’s al Ghul
- Talia al Ghul
- Poison Ivy
- Harley Quinn
- Lady Shiva
Caped Crusader-related trivia? You bet!
- When is Bruce Wayne’s birthday? Or the birth dates of the rest of the classic Batman characters?
- Where is Gotham City located? And how far is it from Metropolis?
- A look back at the centennial anniversary issues of “Detective Comics” and “Batman.”
- How much Batman related material does DC Comics publish, anyway? The answer’s “a metric ton.”
Non-comics usage of the Dark Knight.
- My posts about the 1966 Batman TV show.
- A look at the late 60s Filmation Batman series.
- My post on the late 70s Filmation Batman series, and its repackagings.
- A look at the late 90s “The New Batman/Superman Adventures.”
- A review of direct-to-video animated film “Superman/Batman: Apocalypse.”
Stuff that didn’t fit in with the above:
- The World’s Finest make the world’s worst passwords to use.
- Superman and Batman are more “World’s Finest” than “versus.”
- Recently, a 1950s public service announcement featuring Batman has regained prominence. It features the Caped Crusader denouncing the evils of racism, xenophobia, and religious discrimination.
That about covers it. What’re your favorite Batman-related characters, media, or memories?